Chlorine itself is safe in drinking water, but there are some side-effects of chlorine disinfection that may make drinking water dangerous for ingestion.
Drinking water chlorination kills microbes and prevents them from causing sickness. Chlorine is one of the most common treatment chemicals, although there are others that may also be used, including chloramine.
The Chlorine Concentration First, the concentration of chlorine present in a water supply may affect the safety of the water.
Water that’s naturally higher in organic matter is more likely to have a higher concentration of disinfection byproducts, again because of the increased opportunity for chlorine to react with this material.
Chlorine dissipates naturally over time, so water that has traveled a longer distance to reach your faucet will contain less of this chemical than water that has traveled a shorter distance.
We found no evidence to suggest that chlorinated water isn’t safe for immunocompromised people. Chlorine helps to protect a drinking water supply from microbiological contamination.