During this time of year, it can be easy to get dehydrated in the hot summer sun. Staying well hydrated and consuming adequate electrolytes is important for overall body function especially during times of high intensity physical activity, sickness, or hot weather.
Even though there are many commercial electrolyte drinks available, many are high in sugar including Gatorade. Don’t sweat the heat this summer! Creating a homemade electrolyte drink recipe can be cost effective and a healthier alternative.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of electrolyte drinks, when they are appropriate and provide you with a simple recipe to make your own electrolyte drinks at home.
📌 Key Takeaways
- Electrolytes are important for maintaining proper bodily function including fluid balance and muscle contraction.
- Homemade electrolyte drinks can be a healthy alternative to commercial beverages high in sugar.
- All you need for DIY electrolyte drinks is juice, salt, and water. You can also choose to add coconut water and a sweetener for flavor.
Table of Contents
🥛 Understanding Electrolytes and Their Importance
Electrolytes are minerals like sodium and potassium that carry an electrical charge when dissolved in water. Other electrolytes include calcium, magnesium and chloride.
The body uses electrolytes to conduct electrical charges, such as muscle contraction. They also help play a key role in maintaining fluid balance and supporting other various bodily functions.
When your body is exposed to extreme heat, vomiting or diarrhea this can lead to a loss of electrolytes or an electrolyte imbalance. When you have an electrolyte imbalance this can lead to a variety of symptoms such as muscle cramps, fatigue, and dizziness.
Sometimes it causes more serious complications as well. Therefore, when you are sick or it’s extremely hot it is important to make sure you’re taking in adequate fluids and electrolytes.
✅ Benefits of DIY Electrolyte Drinks
When you make electrolyte drinks at home it allows you to have control over the ingredients without the excessive amounts of sugar that are often found in commercial sports drinks and other beverages.
Not only that, but they also give a fresh and natural taste, while also being budget friendly. Most electrolyte drinks you can make with ingredients already in your house!
📖 Homemade Electrolyte Drink Recipes
Most homemade electrolyte drinks require the following ingredients: salt, juice, water and sugar.
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut water: Coconut water is an excellent source of electrolytes, especially potassium.
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed citrus juice, such as lemon juice or orange juice: Citrus fruits like lemons, limes, or oranges are a rich source of vitamin C and natural sugars. These will aid in hydration and replenishing electrolytes.
- 2 cups of water: Water is essential to dilute the other ingredients and ensure proper hydration.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt: Salt is important to add since this will help replace any electrolytes lost. Salt contains electrolytes sodium and chloride.
- 2 tablespoons of honey, maple syrup: These are sweeteners that will add sweetness and additional carbohydrates.
Yield: 40 ounces or 5 servings
Serving Size: 8 ounces
- In a pitcher, combine the coconut water, citrus juice, water, salt, and sweetener of choice.
- Try it out! Adjust the sweet and salty flavor according to your preference.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Shake well before consuming to distribute any settled ingredients.
Ways To Spice It Up
- If you want, add some fresh herbs such as mint or basil for a refreshing twist. For some added spice, try fresh ginger root!
- For additional potassium, use high potassium fruit juices from fruits such as oranges or grapefruit. You can also sprinkle a small amount of potassium chloride powder
- Experiment with different citrus fruits or a combination with other juices to create a variety of flavors
We know that staying properly hydrated and replenishing electrolytes is important for maintaining optimal health. Making your own homemade electrolyte drink allows you to avoid excessive sugars and unnecessary costs associated with commercial electrolyte and sports drinks.
By using natural ingredients such as coconut water, citrus juice, sea salt, and natural sweeteners, you can create a healthy and refreshing electrolyte drink.
Whether you’re an athlete, recovering from an illness, or simply want to stay hydrated during hot summer days, this homemade electrolyte drink is a fantastic and wholesome option to keep you energized and hydrated naturally.
❔ Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Make Electrolyte Water?
It’s fairly simple to make your own homemade electrolyte drinks. All you need is juice, water, salt and a sweetener of your choice (optional). Mix it all together and enjoy!
What Is A Good Substitute For Electrolyte Drinks?
A good substitute for a sports drink would be other drinks like unsweetened coconut water since they don’t contain the added sugars traditional sports drinks do. You can also choose to make your own electrolyte drink at home. A homemade sports drink or electrolyte drink is easy to make!
What Are The Ingredients In Electrolyte Water?
Typically, to make electrolyte water you need juice such as lemon juice, water, salt and a sweetener. However, some commercial electrolyte drinks contain an excess amount of sugar. It can be beneficial to make homemade electrolyte water so you know the ingredients!
Related: 7 electrolyte water brands