Table of Contents
The Global Water RO-505 offers 5 stages of water filtration that removes up to 99% of all total dissolved solids from water, including pesticides and herbicides, leads, bad minerals, bacteria, chlorine and much more.
The RO filtering system comes pre-assembled and requires only an under-sink installation. With 4 extra filters included in the system’s total cost, the first filter replacement for this unit is free. The system comes with a modern, lead-free faucet, water storage tank, 4 filters, RO membrane and tubing with quick-connect fixtures for simple assembly.
This water filtration unit includes a built-in flow restrictor, which prevents the backflow of pure water through the reverse osmosis membrane after it has been decontaminated. This improves efficiency of RO, allowing water to pass through the membrane at a faster rate, reducing the amount of wastewater that is produced in the process.
3 gallon holding tank
The RO unit’s pressurized storage tank can hold around 2.5 to 3 gallons of filtered water at one time. The tank refills automatically when water is used.
The system comes with its own non-air gap lead-free faucet, which connects via the sink to the unit. Modern in design, the faucet prevents the water from picking up additional harmful contaminants during its journey from the storage tank.
Automatic shut off valve
When the RO system’s water tank is full, the built-in shut off valve automatically stops water flow to prevent water wastage. When tank empties, the shut off valve allows for wastewater production during the reverse osmosis process.
The first stage filter of this RO unit is a sediment filter, which removes particles, sand, salt and sediment from the water. This helps to improve the unit’s lifespan by preventing filters from clogging up or becoming damaged by the sediment.
Coconut shell filter
The unique coconut shell filter in this system removes chlorine, organics, turbidity, and any chemicals that may give the water an unpleasant odor, taste or appearance.
Coconut shell carbon filter
Before the water can run through the system’s RO membrane, it passes through a coconut shell carbon filter, for a more thorough removal of chlorine and any chemicals that might contribute to water cloudiness, poor smell and taste.
The filtration system’s semi-permeable reverse osmosis membrane is US made and designed to remove up to 99% of all total dissolved solids from water, including heavy metals, bad mineral substances, bacteria and other chemicals.
The final filtration stage in the RO system sends water through an inline filter to remove any possible bad smells or tastes it may have lifted from the water storage tank. This produces the cleanest, freshest and best-tasting overall product.
Thanks to its flow restrictor and automatic shut-off valve, the Global Water RO-505 is one of the more efficient, modern RO systems on the market. The automatic shut-off valve inhibits water wastage when it’s not needed, preventing the system from sending water down the drain when the tank is full and the reverse osmosis process isn’t taking place.
The Global Water RO-505’s flow restrictor increases pressure during reverse osmosis, forcing water through the semi-permeable membrane and preventing it from flowing back the way it came. This reduces wastewater production and speeds up the tank refill time.
Operating at a water pressure of 40-80 PSI, the RO unit works best at a pressure of 60 PSI. For every 3 gallons of water used, 1 gallon of water is produced. The tank takes up to 2 hours to reach maximum capacity.
🔧 Installation & Maintenance
With most of its components already pre-assembled, the Global Water RO-505 RO unit only requires fitting in an under sink area and connecting up to its faucet. Most users will be able to install the system without the help of a plumber. Quick-connect parts and colour-coded instructions simplify the installation task for the user.
The unit needs little maintenance to run smoothly. Its filters and RO membrane don’t need cleaning, but will need to be changed after 6 months to a year to continue to work effectively. The unit’s storage tank does not require replacing.
📝 Filter Info
The Global Water RO-505 RO system comes with 4 filters – a sediment filter, a coconut shell filter, a coconut shell carbon filter, and an inline filter – as well a semi-permeable membrane.
Also included in the package are 4 additional filters for free first replacement. Filters will need to be changed after 6 months to a year. The RO membrane has a slightly longer lifespan of 1 to 2 years. All filters can be purchased online at a relatively low cost.
A user may wish to purchase a TDS (total dissolved solids) tester, which can be used to monitor the TDS content of water, thus determining whether filters are still working effectively.
Pros & Cons
- Simple installation with a mostly pre-assembled unit that does not require professional help. The most complex part of installation is fitting the faucet, which can be carried out following the system’s instruction manual. Users with basic mechanic skills will not struggle with installation.
- Good value for money when compared to similar reverse osmosis systems on the market. High-quality components for durability.
- The system comes with 4 extra filters free of charge, which means the first filter change won’t cost the user. Note that no additional RO membrane is included in the initial purchase.
- Improved reverse osmosis filtration with flow restrictor preventing backflow of water, inhibiting water wastage and speeding up the RO process. Automatic shut-off valve for preventing wastewater production while tank is full.
- Fairly sizeable unit that might not fit comfortably in all under sink areas. Users should compare measurements with under sink measurements to ensure a good fit before purchasing.
- The filtration system does not include an alkaline or remineralization filter, which some users may prefer to add minerals or antioxidants to water, improving its pH. A user would need to purchase an additional remineralization filter, or use another means of adding minerals to water, if necessary.
Found this review helpful?
Comment below or share this article!